Sailing is a fun and enjoyable activity for everyone, no matter the experience level.
Mastering how to sail a primary boat is effortless. I encourage beginners to practice in the right environment as they can gain considerable experience with time.
Since most beginners make the mistake of picking the wrong boat to start with, they get frustrated and quit before they can sail by themselves.
In this blog, I will cover the best small sailboats for beginners to help mitigate this problem.
Read on to learn more…
The Three Best Small Sailboats for Beginners
Sunfish is a personalized boat for beginners to sail with. Its ease of use makes sailing enjoyable for both beginners and experienced sailors.
- Sail Area: 75 Square Feet
- Hull Weight: 120 Pounds
- Capacity: 1-2 people
- Optimal Weight: up to 190 pounds
- Sunfish has a patented kick-up rudder that makes beach launches, landings, and shallow-water sailing effortless.
- It has a self-bailing cockpit.
- It has a stainless steel bow handle that enables carrying, docking, and holding the boat into the wind while launching or loading.
- Easy to sail and rig using a single control line
- Fast planning sailboat in good wind
- It is cheap
- Daggerboard and kick-up rudder enable easy beaching.
- Little freeboard and small cockpit
- A beginner can easily capsize
Why I Have Included Sunfish Sailboat in My List
I have included this sailboat in my list because it combines performance, durability, and stability suitable for beginners and experts.
With this boat, you can quickly learn how to sail, and you can’t go wrong with it.
More Info International Sunfish Class Association
Hunter 15 is a safe and versatile boat for both beginners and masters in sailing.
- Passenger capacity: 4
- Length overall: 4.4 m (14′6″)
- Draft – Board Up: (6″)0.15 m
- Draft – Board Down: (3’0″)0.92 m
- Material: fiberglass
- Appendages: lifting keel
- Intended use: daysailer
- Stainless steel arch
- Spacious cockpit area
- Easy to balance
- It doesn’t sail well in downwind
- No separate starting battery
Why I Have Included the Hunter 15 Sailboat in My List
I have included this boat in my list because it has a comfortable wide beam, a contoured self-bailing cockpit and fiberglass construction.
Additionally, it is designed to allow beginners to sail around with ease, and it is a safe boat giving sailors a confident feeling and peace of mind as they sail.
More Info marlow-hunter.com
Catalina 16.5 is a small, powerful recreational sailing boat constructed predominantly of fiberglass.
- LOA: 16.33 ft. / 4.98 m
- Approximate Base Wt.: 430lb.
- Draft Board up: 5″
- Draft Board down: 4’5″
- Fiberglass composite Kick-up rudder
- Stainless steel standing rigging
- Adjustable hiking straps
- Self-bailing cockpit
- Fast sailboat
- Spacious cockpit area
- Easy to sail and rig around
- Difficult to balance
Why I Have Included Catalina 16.5 Sailboat in My List
I have included Catalina 16.5 boat in the list because of its fantastic design, is versatile, and you can get them in two designs: the keel model and the centreboard model.
More Info www.catalinayachts.com
So, What’s the Best Small Sailing Boat For Beginners?
Here are my top three picks of best small sailboat for beginners:
- Hunter 15
- Catalina 16.5
If I had to pick one, I would go for Hunter 15 sailboat because it has the the best safety features. The Hunter 15 sailboat is also easy to operate, plus you can dock with no problem. The boat is easy to maintain, and it’s not complicated for a beginner.
What is your choice?